Sounds of the Next Generation (SONG) is a free, socially inclusive choral and orchestral after-school music program for under-served children and youth in Northumberland County. Inspired by El Sistema, SONG promotes social development through the pursuit of musical excellence.
Currently, SONG is seeking to fill the following position:
Position: Choral Instructor
Location: Cobourg, ON
Duration: Mid-August 2019 – Mid-May 2020
Remuneration: $50.00/hour, 4 classroom hours/week
SONG is seeking an accomplished choral instructor who is passionate about teaching and inspiring grade-school aged children who have a variety of learning styles and needs. Reporting to the Artistic Director and working with in-class volunteers, the choral instructor will be part of an artistic team engaged in musical instruction, concert preparation and occasional musical events, and in helping students to build self-esteem and social skills through the joy of ensemble music-making.
- support the core values of social development through pursuit of musical excellence
- create teaching materials and rehearse selected repertoire in collaboration with the Artistic Director
- work with mentors and other volunteers to establish an inclusive, engaging and safe learning environment
- plan and teach two classes per ensemble (Primary and Junior) – 4 classroom hours per week
- keep accurate records of attendance and provide the SONG Administrative Assistant with all registration and consent forms
- conduct/sing with choirs at SONG performances, including at least two scheduled concerts per year and no more than two run-outs per year as determined by the Artistic Director
- maintain rapport with the school administration at lesson locations
- communicate regularly with parents of the choral ensemble students
- meet with the Artistic Director bi-weekly
- represent SONG in a professional and positive manner to all SONG stakeholders, including students, families, donors, volunteers, and to the general public
- BMus or equivalent
- a strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music
- demonstrated excellence in musicianship as a teacher/performer
- strong knowledge of standard music pedagogy (Suzuki, Kodaly, etc.)
- experience in teaching introductory choral programming
- experience leading and conducting ensembles
- able to adapt instruction to accommodate multiple learning styles
- strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- interest in and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and peers as an artist, teacher and citizen
- ability to work as a team member within the artistic team
- three or more years of related experience performing the majority of the duties outlined in this job description
- the ability to provide instrumental accompaniment is an asset
- must have a police check for working with vulnerable individuals
To apply for this position, please send:
- a letter outlining your interest in and qualifications for this position
- a current c.v.
- the names of three persons who can be contacted to provide references.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com , subject line: Choral Instructor, no later than May 31, 2019.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.