With about two months until the start of our seventh season, SONG is seeking a new choral conductor for our Cobourg program. If you know of a qualified musician who could step into this role, please direct their attention to this information and help us spread the word! Below are the official details of the position.
CHORAL INSTRUCTOR (contract position)
Location: Cobourg ON
Time: Mondays and Wednesdays after school (4 hours/week)
Duration: September 1, 2019 – April 30, 2020
The successful candidate will be an accomplished choral instructor who is passionate about teaching and inspiring grade-school aged children who have a variety of learning styles and needs. Reporting to the Artistic Director and working with in-class volunteers, the choral instructor will be part of an artistic team engaged in musical instruction, concert preparation and occasional musical events, and in helping students to build self-esteem and social skills through the joy of ensemble music-making.
- support the core values of social development through pursuit of musical excellence
- create teaching materials and rehearse selected repertoire in collaboration with the Artistic Director
- work with mentors and other volunteers to establish an inclusive, engaging and safe learning environment
- plan and teach two classes per ensemble (Primary and Junior) – 4 classroom hours per week
- keep accurate records of attendance and provide the SONG Administrative Assistant with all registration and consent forms
- conduct/sing with choirs at SONG performances, including at least two scheduled concerts per year and no more than two run-outs per year as determined by the Artistic Director
- maintain rapport with the school administration at lesson locations
- communicate regularly with parents of the choral ensemble students
- meet with the Artistic Director bi-weekly
- represent SONG in a professional and positive manner to all SONG stakeholders, including students, families, donors, volunteers, and to the general public
- BMus or equivalent
- a strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music
- demonstrated excellence in musicianship as a teacher/performer
- strong knowledge of standard music pedagogy (Suzuki, Kodaly, etc.)
- experience in teaching introductory choral programming
- experience leading and conducting ensembles
- able to adapt instruction to accommodate multiple learning styles
- strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- interest in and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and peers as an artist, teacher and citizen
- ability to work as a team member within the artistic team
- three or more years of related experience performing the majority of the duties outlined in this job description
- the ability to provide instrumental accompaniment is an asset
- must have a police check for working with vulnerable individuals
To apply for this position, please send:
- a letter outlining your interest in and qualifications for this position
- a current c.v.
- the names of three persons who can be contacted to provide references
to: firstname.lastname@example.org , subject line: Choral Instructor, no later than August 9, 2019.
For further information, please explore this website to see the wonderful things that we do in the lives of children in our community. Inquires about the position can also be directed to the email link above.