The local children’s charity Sounds of the Next Generation (SONG) is thrilled to announce having achieved, above and beyond, its first quarter fundraising goal. Dedicated donors gave generously in the final weeks of 2017, along with new donors joining the cause. A very special thank you goes out to our anonymous “Guardian Angel” whose matching gift of $5,000 brought the grand total to $12,050!
“I have seen such incredible changes and advances brought about with these young children, our future, over the short time that the talented and dedicated teachers and volunteers work with them, along with the mutual enthusiasm and love for making music that they all share,” says our generous donor who wishes to remain anonymous. “I definitely want, in my small way, to be part of it all.”
Although a free, socially-inclusive music program for the children, it does cost $1000 per year per child to participate in SONG, where each child receives:
- Exceptional musical instruction by our renowned Artistic Director, Marie Anderson, and choral and strings instructors for 9 months, totaling more than 300 hours per child per year
- Workshops with guest musicians to enhance exceptional learning in music-making
- Instruments, including violins and cellos
- Sheet music
- A SONG t-shirt as a uniform
- Healthy snacks at each rehearsal and performance
The fiscal year for SONG is September 1 to August 31, and the fall campaign is the kick-start to keeping SONG thriving. Now in its 5th year, and having had more than 217 children and youth come through its doors, SONG has big plans for expanding and reaching even more children. It’s community support like this that keeps us singing! We are so grateful. Thank you, everyone!
(Photo Credit: Nicolett Jakab)